- 2 cups whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 (4- by 1-inch) strips fresh orange zest
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 firm-ripe California avocados (1 to 1 1/4 lb total)
- 1 (500-mg) vitamin C tablet, crushed to a powder
- Bring 1 3/4 cups milk, 1/2 cup sugar, zest, and a pinch of salt to a simmer in a 2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat. Whisk together cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup milk in a small bowl until smooth, then whisk into simmering milk. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly, and boil 1 minute. Transfer mixture to a metal bowl, then set bowl in a larger bowl of ice and cold water and cool completely, stirring frequently. Discard zest.
- Quarter, pit, and peel avocados, then purée with vitamin C and remaining 1/4 cup sugar in a food processor until smooth. Add milk mixture and blend well.
- Freeze avocado mixture in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and freeze until hardened, about 1 hour.