If you have been lusting over thick, shiny, and fuller hair you might want to consider a hair and scalp oil massage (you can totally skip the oil but since oils have so many added benefits I highly recommend you include an oil and not skip – bonus if it’s warm!). Even if you are simply looking to relax and detach from the world for even just a half hour or so this is a great option Double bonus if you can get someone to do it for you!
An oil massage done on the hair at least once a week (if you have more time in your schedule, you would want to try to do it two to three times a week), has the following benefits:
- It oils and conditions the scalp, helping to prevent flakes and dry scalp without the use of harsh chemical shampoos.
- It helps enhance blood circulation in the head and neck area. When the scalp is “tight” from stress, circulation and hair growth are delayed.
- It helps relax the scalp as well as the mind allowing you to focus and concentrate better…especially if you have been up late a few nights or your eyes are tired from too much work on the computer or reading.
- It helps increase fullness in your hair overall.
- It helps strengthen the roots of the hair and nourishes the hair-shafts, promoting new hair growth and strengthening current hair.
- It helps soften and condition the hair, making it more manageable.
- It spreads the natural oils of the hair, increasing hair luster and vibrancy.
- It helps protect hair from the damaging effects of the sun and harsh weather by improving resiliency over time.
- It is replenishing and rejuvenating for dry, damaged hair, and helps prevent excessive brittleness and split-ends.
- If you warm the oil, this can be wonderfully relaxing for the mind and body overall.
- Hair and scalp massage can help balance you and help prevent problems such as premature graying or thinning of hair.
- It helps reduce body heat
- The massage helps relax the muscles in the body especially in the neck area.
- Hair and scalp massage can help promote sound sleep at night.
It’s best to leave the oil in your hair overnight and shampoo and condition the next day but if you are REALLY pressed for time, massage your hair in the early morning and then remove in the afternoon. No time for even that?! Give it 30 – 60 minutes. The longer the oil sits in your hair the more benefits you will soak in…literally. I sometimes even put oil in my hair before my hot yoga classes, talk about genius!
Massage Tips: When doing a head massage, focus on the center head, which is most likely to receive less blood supply.